Rediscovering Treasures

Moving is always a fun discovery process. You unpack the important things first then slowly get around to a box here and a box there. I have a general idea of what is in the remaining boxes and there's no real rush in getting to them, but one of my children needed a box for a school project so I grabbed one that I knew would be easy to reassign the resting place for its contents. It was a box of books. Unlike other boxes of books, this was a combination of a variety of genres, uses, and owners. The kids books I shoved onto a bookshelf that had just enough room. The Tai Chi manual went in my headboard with other self-improvement manuals. The books I picked up from the church bookstore were stored with other prospective Christmas presents. And the remaining books were journals.

One was still empty. Another was the one I used to write talks I had given in church. The third was actually complete, covering my college years. The last was a gratitude journal I started in 2005. It had only one entry. That was probably more embarrassing to me than any of the entries from the college years journal - and there is plenty of fodder for embarrassment there. Not so much what I wrote but the fact that I didn't really take advantage of the gratitude journal. That's not to say I'm ungrateful; I'm just not very good at finishing projects, even those that would prove beneficial to me both on a daily basis and over time. I can't recall why I started the journal - most likely an inspiration from Oprah or church talk. My guess is that at the time I desired to express my gratitude more openly, especially to the Lord, and was convinced that writing in a journal would make me more appreciative of the blessings in my life, even when life seems to be nothing but trial and nuisance.

I still find it difficult to express my gratitude publicly. I do appreciate the efforts of others on my behalf. I am personally embarrassed when others thank me for things that I feel were effortless on my part. I don't think writing in a journal is going to happen. But it might, even if it is just for one more entry. Because that is how I see how I have grown over the years.

In 2005, my one entry of gratitude was for a husband who chose an event for me over one he would have rather attended. He even took care of the babysitting details. And after today, it was a reminder of how good I have it. Today I am grateful for a husband who talks too much to our mechanic. It made all the difference in timing and ability to help when I was ready to walk away from the situation muttering a few choice words. I probably ought to tell him.

Comments

lap said…
I enjoy reading your blogs even though I seldom comment on any. It helps me keep in touch with what you and all those great-nieces and nephews are doing. I was glad to see you and family this past summer. love,

Popular posts from this blog

Misery Loves Company

The Jane Austen Book Club

30 Days of Truth - Day 4