Week Ending November 15, 2009

It's late and I ought to be in bed, but realized I've got 2 weeks of catching up to do. In all reality, there hasn't been anything of great interest going on. It continues with school, work, scouts, church, and activities all in random order. Everybody has been sick, then better, then sick again. Nothing too bad, really, just enough to make you slightly miserable and irritable. The days are getting shorter and it gets harder and harder to get up at 5:30 even though the alarm going off across the room is annoying beyond belief. It's across the room with the idea that if I have to get out of bed to turn it off, I will stay up and moving. Usually it works, but occasionally I am tempted to slip back into bed and pretend that it's Saturday.

The kids all had the 11th off for Veterans day but both Neil and I worked so it wasn't much of a holiday. I am getting close to the wrap-up for popcorn and am hoping that it all works out quickly so I can be done. I've already given my notice to the district that I won't be doing it again next year. I've done it for three years and it's time to let someone else have the experience. Mostly it's because I should be doing my student teaching next year at this time and I don't want to have to worry about additional stress.

I was tempted to stay home from church today. It seems to be getting harder to want to get up and go. I'm not sure why, because I do feel so enriched when I attend. Today was no exception. I was able to be in Relief Society today and the lesson was on the testimonies others had of Joseph Smith being a prophet. It's not something I've ever given much thought to. I guess I've just always accepted it as a part of the truth of the church. I mean, if a guy is going to just make up a whole new religion, wouldn't he be more likely to follow conventional wisdom rather than going out on a limb and expecting people to accpet completely different thoughts about the attributes of God. New religion wasn't exactly new at that time. There were a lot of churches and pastors and preachers proclaiming the truth of their interpretation of the Bible. Why not just stick to what was already being done. Stick with the Bible and just add a few of your own interpretations. But Joseph Smith introduced a whole new book of scripture and brought to light the idea that the Godhead is indeed three separate beings with a common goal and purpose. If you're going to claim you saw God, why not just stick to seeing God? But Joseph not only claimed to have seen God, but Jesus Christ as well with God introducing Christ as "mine only begotten Son." Not exactly what you want to throw out there if you're making up your own religion and expect people to jump on board. It just seems like a bit much for a 14 year old boy with little education to come up with all on his own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Misery Loves Company

The Jane Austen Book Club

30 Days of Truth - Day 4