The Secret Life of Prince Charming

I finished this book finally. I haven't had as much time lately for luxury reading and I borrowed the book at least 2 months ago from the library. It was in the teen section and it had a cute title and would be a quick read, or so I assumed. It should be a quick read, but only if you have time to sit and read.

The premise of the story is figuring out love. It hides behind an adventure trek taken by two sisters, a step-sister, and a boyfriend's brother as they return items taken by the father from women with whom he had had relationships. But the journey is more than just returning the items, the girls find themselves learning things about their father they probably didn't really want to know and forging a bond that could not be attained any other way.

Mixed in the story line are excerpts from what you might assume are journal writings from the various female characters in the book which revolve around love and relationships. There appears to be an underlying search for truth.

Overall it wasn't a bad book. Okay on the entertainment factor and doesn't require any truly deep thought. It wasn't good enough for me to care about what the future of the characters might hold and I was not emotionally caught up in the characters, their quest, or the plot overall. What I did get out of it was a bit of disappointment.

When we talk about love and relationships, I get that people should try to avoid those that feel like love but in reality are just user relationships and a waste of time. I've had my share of those experiences and I understand why you stay in them. It's not because you're afraid of being alone and it's not because you think you don't deserve better. It's because you don't want to give up on the relationship prematurely. The book claims that love should be easy and peaceful. I'm not sure that you can generalize love like that and claim that if it doesn't fit into that context then it really isn't love. Relationships take work. They consist of two people with their own set of baggage from past relationships which have influenced who they are now. And not just love relationships, but family and friends and business relationships.

I would not want my daughter to read the book and think that anytime a relationship got hard it meant that there was no longer love or perhaps never was love. It shouldn't be all one-sided - both people need to be giving and compromising and loving. If we give up or walk away anytime it gets hard, then what do we learn? How do we grow? Having it hard isn't necessarily a bad thing. You just can't generalize love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Misery Loves Company

The Jane Austen Book Club

30 Days of Truth - Day 4