Being Thankful

I'm not blogging as much as I used to. I miss it actually because it means that I do not have the same amount of free time I previously had. I've probably lost readers, not that I had a whole lot to begin with. I rather enjoy having my writing acknowledged, even though I tell myself that is not why I am writing.

With today being the day Americans celebrate Thanksgiving, I decided to take advantage of this spare free time to set forth those things for which I am thankful. They are not in any particular order, just pretty much however they hit me randomly.

First, I am thankful for my job. It is the reason I don't have as much free time, but I really enjoy the people I work with and I enjoy the challenge it is bringing to my life. I am realizing that I need to put up boundaries so that I don't make what is supposed to be part-time into more than full-time. There is plenty of work to do that and I do so like to be of service. I have realized though that by trying to do so much causes me stress as I try to keep the rest of my life in balance. But I am indeed grateful to be trusted by people I respect to do a difficult job.

I am thankful for my family. Between my work hours and Neil's work hours, our family time has become more rare, but of better quality. Alyx came and spent the afternoon with us. Her visits are rare and random, and I realize that she has a life that doesn't really revolve around hanging out with her dad and step-mom. I do enjoy when she is here. She is growing up into a beautiful young lady, both physically and emotionally. She is intelligent and thoughtful. She brings peace with her which is a wonderful change from the drama queen who used to be forced upon us. I am thankful for her maturity. The older boys are still immature, but I see great potential. I am amazed that God has allowed me to be with such amazing boys. They are so close in age and yet so different in personality. They are equally annoying and helpful. Aaron and I share a bond that is forged from a tumultuous experience from his early years. In some ways, he is my confidante and my advisor. Derek on the other hand is a completely different relationship. Although he is my step-son, I have not yet figured out what that relationship really entails. He has always been very respectful towards me, but lately, I sense a great deal of love emanating from him. Perhaps he is finally realizing that loving me and being loved by me does not in any way violate his relationship with his biological mother. I always get a hug from him before he leaves for the evening and I am grateful that he feels comfortable enough with me to show that affection. Daniel is still my baby. At times I wish he would grow up but I do so appreciate his sensitivity to situations and others' feelings. He is in that awkward stage of pre-adolescence and as the true middle child, I worry about him feeling like he belongs. Perhaps that is why he turns to me so often - he does not have a close peer within the family and his friends are not always available. He is doing so well at school this year and I feel positive that he will adjust to middle school next year with ease. I am thankful for the peace I feel with that decision. Nicholas has become an emotional roller coaster lately. I suspect he is testing the waters as he tries to become more independent. He is so capable and has the potential for being a great leader. I have great hope that this current phase is just that and that he will come through it a stronger, healthier child. Cierra has grown so much this year. Being in kindergarten has been a great blessing in our lives. She is so smart and has made many friends in her class. She is helpful and has such a sweet, giving heart. Rachel was put into pre-school when I started working. She still tells me she hates school, but the teachers say she is very involved and happy when she is there. I love listening to her sing and talk when she thinks nobody is listening. She is very articulate and I know she will be ready for school when the time comes. She still is very much my little girl and I am thankful that she allows me to cuddle with her.

I am thankful for having found the Charter School. I like that the children have small class sizes and get better immediate attention. I am grateful for their association with the pre-school so I only have one stop in the mornings and afternoons. I appreciate the school's Christian values and am comfortable with knowing my children are getting both temporal and spiritual development while they are in the school's care.

I am thankful for the gospel of Jesus Christ and for my membership in His church. I know that I would be a mess if I didn't have this to direct my life. I am grateful for the Savior's atoning sacrifice and all that His act offers to me.

I am thankful for having a home, even though it has been almost a year now that we have been unable to make the mortgage payment. I know it is through the Lord's blessing that we are still here and though it often feels like we are in limbo, I have always been at peace with knowing that things will happen in the Lord's time. I am grateful that He has seen fit to keep us here for this long.

I am thankful for my bed, which is where I am now headed. I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and had the opportunity to reflect on your own blessings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Misery Loves Company

Hump Day

The Jane Austen Book Club