Speaking of Independence

Nicholas finishes kindergarten on Friday. I guess I am not yet ready for my little guy to grow up. I still have the two girls to baby, but still - he's my last boy. He has obviously been watching his older brother, Derek, more intently than I had realized. Derek loves to cook and recently he has been baking cookies and brownies for the family.

Sunday evening, after Neil had left for NYLT, I was at the computer typing my weekly review, when Cierra came over holding an egg. She began babbling something about a bowl and chocolate chips. My guess was she was wanting to make cookies. So while I normally would have put her off until I was finished with whatever I was doing, the egg in her hand prompted me to act immediately. Taking the egg, I walked with her back to the kitchen. There on my island was Nicholas, the carton of eggs, a bowl filled with a cookie mix, and butter. As I tried to ascertain what he had already done, I found a mixture of pride and concern - okay, some annoyance as well. He had pretty much completed the ingredients part and the only thing I needed was some more butter. Figuring out how much more was a bit tricky, but over all, not a big deal.

We have gone over the need to have adult assistance whenever he wants to cook, but I fear it won't be long before he and Derek completely take over the kitchen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Misery Loves Company

The Jane Austen Book Club

30 Days of Truth - Day 4