The Pearl

John Steinbeck is one of those classic novelists that you always feel you should have read. Most high school students are exposed to at least one of his works - usually Of Mice and Men or Grapes of Wrath. I vaguely remember Of Mice and Men probably because we watched the movie as well as read the book. I don't recall which year that was.

This month's book club selection is John Steinbeck's The Pearl - his modification of a folktale where a man finds a pearl only to discover his supposed wealth leaves his life in danger. Steinbeck transposes the young, single hero of the original to a middle-aged man with a wife and baby son. The dangers posed to the original finder of the pearl are now increased to include the threat to both the man and his family.

At the end of the story, the pearl is returned to the sea but the story is about the ethical decisions made when wealth becomes a higher priority than life. At the same time, I was extremely saddened at the obvious disregard the rich have for the poor and the greed for men to become richer at the expense of their fellowman. I do not believe the desires and dreams of the pearl-finder were wrong - who does not wish for a better life for oneself and one's family? But are we truly more likely to place those desires ahead of the simple necessities when the two come into conflict?

Facing difficult times in our own economic situation at this time makes me acutely aware of the desire to just be able to enjoy the basic necessities. With Neil out of work and his severance pay now gone, the house in foreclosure, and the savings slowly but surely dwindling, what is truly important to our family?

I have determined that I do not want to move because of the inconvenience of finding another place to live and moving all our stuff - it is not about the house itself. I rejoice in having the ability to have gotten all the children in to see the doctor before the insurance coverage ended. I am grateful that we have been thrifty even when we appeared to have the means to be extravagent. And mostly, I appreciate the relationship I have with my Heavenly Father that while these economic situations are inconvenient, I have been blessed with feelings of peace and contentment rather than stress and worry.

Comments

Whiteley Family said…
I didn't know that Neil lost his job. When did this happen? I talked with Lydia a few weeks ago and she said that Ian might loose his job but didn't say anything about Neil. I hope that all is going well, under the circumstances. We will pray for you!
Unknown said…
Neil's been out of work since last September. He had a severance package through the end of March and now he's really having to apply himself to finding a job. There are some openings back at Chase which would be great because not only would he have a job, but he would get all the benefits he had with them (3 weeks vacation, full medical/dental, 401K plan) back as if he had never left. He however I think is really hoping to get the job with the Forest Service. If it pays well, I'd like to see that too because he'd be much happier in a green truck in the outdoors than stuck behind a desk. I hadn't heard about Ian, though it's not surprising with all the budget cuts in education. Thanks for the prayers. They always help!

Popular posts from this blog

Misery Loves Company

The Jane Austen Book Club

30 Days of Truth - Day 4