Week Ending 2/8/09

It's been a while since I've actually broken down the week by daily activities. What I realize is that I go through ups and downs as far as busy-ness. This past week was an exceptionally busy one and I'm glad it is over.

Last Sunday was the Super Bowl so after church, we went to a friend's house for dinner and to watch the game. I am not a football fan, but since our Cardinals were playing, we though we would route for them to win. The friends were Steeler fans so we had some good-hearted ribbing go back and forth. The Steelers did end winning the game (sorry if this spoiled the ending for anyone) but the game was well-played and it really could have gone either way. For me, it was much more about hanging out with friends we rarely see because of location than who won the game.

Monday the kids didn't want to go to school, but we made them anyway and Neil and I putzed around the house. He is again unemployed. His last job was not a good fit so he gave notice and the company basically told him not to come back. Monday afternoon, Aaron went to do a service project for a sister in the ward. When we got there, we found out the water was out, but she still found things for him to do and when I picked him up an hour later, the water was back on and she was extremely grateful for his help.

Tuesday was Rachel's birthday. We took the kids to school, dropped Cierra off at Joy School, ran to the library then came back to make Rachel's birthday cake. She was excited about it being her birthday but obviously did not understand the concept completely. All day Tuesday she would tell you she was 3 if you asked how old she was. However, on Wednesday, she had reverted back to being 2.

Wednesday was a clean the house day. I never feel overly successful on these days because no matter how hard I clean, the little kids can destroy twice as many rooms or undo my efforts in 1/4 the time it took me to do the work.

Thursday was Joy School again for Cierra. I worked on school work and scouting stuff. We had roundtable that night and the older boys had their OA meeting at the same time. Daniel is really good at staying with the younger 3 and had them bathed and in bed when we got home.

Friday the younger boys always have a half day. Neil and I got stuff ready for our Wood Badge Staff overnighter then picked up the older boys. Due to some unexpected interference from the ex, we ended up getting there late, but we made the best of it and realized that, as usual, a lot more could have been accomplished in less time if people had actually prepared their stuff in advance.

Saturday was more of the same but we were grateful to get out of there by 3:00 instead of the scheduled 4:00. I was particularly grateful because I was in charge of our district dinner. I'm only supposed to be the MC, but invariably I end up picking up the slack when others don't come through. Getting home by 3:30 allowed me time to get some of my school work submitted and make final preparations for the dinner. It went much longer than I had anticipated, but there are some people who just don't know when to shut up. My district commissioner has told me that we are not doing the dinner next year unless some major changes are made in other areas. I was a bit glad that he included me in the "we" of that statement as I never wanted to be this involved at the dinner.

Today I forced myself to get up to go to church. I don't have anything against church, but I dislike the 9:00 session. I have stopped going to choir practice since they moved it to 8:00. I just don't feel it is fair to leave the readying of all the kids to Neil just so I can sing. We made it to church on time (barely) but everyone else seemed to be running behind as well. It might have been the rain as well as the early hour. Because I was fighting a headache I don't think I got as much out of the lessons as if I had been able to concentrate.

We got home, took care of lunch and I grabbed nap. It didn't completely revive me, but the headache was less intense. I got up in time to get ready to go with Neil to take Derek back to his mom's house and then attend a Eagle Court of Honor for the son of some friends. The boy is only 13, but he is the 4th son and has had a lot of practice with Eagle projects and scouting in general. His family had actually been awarded the Boy Scout Family of the Year award at the dinner so this was a neat way to end the weekend.

Well, it is getting late and my Rachel wants to snuggle.


Popular posts from this blog

Should've Put Something On It

Misery Loves Company

When Tragedy Becomes Personal